Monday, August 27, 2012

Diet Anger

It is always nice to know that you are not alone and others are struggling with the same thing when it comes to nutrition and behavior change. There is a Primal Blueprint e-books that you can get for free by signing up to be a member at marksdailyapple.com called Primal Living in The Real World. This book is written by those who have been making the changes. It breaks down different questions and the one was:
"What was the biggest hurdle you experienced when going Primal and how did you overcome it?"
Here is what the participant wrote:
My biggest hurdle was dealing with “diet anger.” I loved eating Primal -- except when I was out with friends.  It always felt like I had to limit myself to lame salads while my friends ate all the good stuff. Diet anger made me fall off the wagon a bunch of times until I grew confident enough in my choice and found a wide enough variety of foods that I could figure ways around it. Now I’m “that person” in the brunch place who orders an omelet no cheese, no hash browns, no toast, but with a side of sliced tomatoes, please. I make no apologies for asking for what I want. And when I know everyone is going to want dessert, I have a bar of super-dark chocolate waiting for me so I don’t feel left out. I always make sure it’s my favorite bar, Vivani, and I only purchase it for dessert occasions, so it always feels like a treat. I also have a reputation now for bringing food with me everywhere, and my co-workers have just accepted it as a quirk of my personality. It’s expected of me now to have a Big Ass Salad for lunch. Once I got enough confidence to either ask for exactly what I want or just bring food along and be the “weirdo,” I stopped having diet anger and can go way beyond the 80/20 philosophy; I’m more like 90/10!

When going out to eat or at other people's homes I had this feeling and I guess I really didn't know how to put it into words, but I feel this person was able to do just that. I love the idea of not having to have tons of reason for my choices, but just make them. I can be that "weirdo" and know it is ok. I have told my clients in the past to be ok with being "different" or in most cases "healthy". I would say not eating grains without being allergic or having a specific illness is very different. I am still working on being different and liking it! I have used the statement "getting comfortable with the uncomfortable" in many classes. This statement has been very prominent in my mind the last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment